Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for Me?
How will you know if bariatric surgery is right for you?
You may have one or more of these conditions:
- You are 75 lbs. over your ideal weight or have a BMI of 40 or higher
- You have weight-related conditions like type 2 diabetes, heart disease or sleep apnea
- You understand and accept the risks and benefits of bariatric surgery
- You understand and accept your eating habits must change after weight loss surgery
- You want to make the necessary lifestyle changes
You may have heard you need a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or higher or a BMI of 35-39 associated with at least two co-morbidities to be considered for weight loss surgery. But what is BMI? BMI is a general indicator of health based on a standard ratio of weight to height. Your BMI can help gauge your risk of certain diseases that can occur in people that have a higher percentage of body mass. Among those diseases are diabetes, sleep apnea and heart disease. The higher your BMI, the greater your risk may be. A BMI of 40 is about 100 lbs. or more over “normal” weight. You don’t need to worry about figuring out your BMI because the team at the Abrazo Scottsdale Campus Bariatric Wellness Institute will calculate that for you.
When you are ready to make a change in your life, we’re here to help you on that journey to a better you.
Find a Bariatric Physician and Schedule a Consultation
Take a risk assessment to find out if you are a candidate for surgical weight loss.