Abrazo hospitals help feed hungry children during summerMay 22, 2017
PHOENIX (May 22, 2015) – Abrazo Community Health Network hospitals are hosting the Healthy Over Hungry Cereal Drive to provide hungry children with healthy breakfasts during the summer.
From May 29 through June 5, hospital employees, community members and business leaders can donate healthy cereal and/or monetary donations for perishable breakfast items. Donations will go to St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance, Maryvale Revitalization Corp. or Agua Fria Food Bank.
“At Abrazo Community Health Network, our staff is eager to join the fight against hunger and make a difference in our community,’’ said Market Chief Medical Officer William Ellert. “We recognize the importance of good nutrition on good health and hope that through this drive, we can help those struggling with food insecurity. A proper nutritional diet is extremely important in establishing a healthy future for children.”
Arizona ranks third in the country for high child food insecurity rates, behind only New Mexico and Mississippi, with 456,760 children facing hunger on a daily basis, according to St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance.
The Healthy Over Hungry Cereal Drive’s purpose is to feed hungry children as they head in to summer months without the benefit of a healthy breakfast, often provided by their school.
“We appreciate Abrazo Community Health Network hospitals for hosting the Healthy Over Hungry Cereal Drive,’’ said Beverly Damore, St. Mary’s Food Bank President and Chief Executive Officer. “Summer is a particularly difficult time for our food bank because many children can no longer rely on their schools for meals so their families often turn to us for help. Thanks to Abrazo Community Health Network hospitals and the Healthy Over Hungry Cereal Drive, many families will have a healthy breakfast.’’
Abrazo hospitals collecting cereal and monetary donations for St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance are:
- Abrazo Arrowhead Campus (Arrowhead Hospital), 18701 N. 67th Ave. in Glendale.
- Abrazo Arizona Heart Hospital (Arizona Heart Hospital), 1930 E. Thomas Road in Phoenix.
- Abrazo Central Campus (Phoenix Baptist Hospital), 2000 W. Bethany Home Road in Phoenix.
- Abrazo Scottsdale Campus (Paradise Valley Hospital), 3929 E. Bell Road in Phoenix.
- Abrazo Peoria Emergency Center (North Peoria Emergency Center), 26900 N. Lake Pleasant Parkway, Peoria.
Other Abrazo hospitals collecting cereal and monetary donations for food banks are:
- Abrazo Maryvale Campus (Maryvale Hospital), 5102 W. Campbell Ave., Phoenix. Cereal and monetary donations will benefit Maryvale Revitalization Corp. Monetary donations may be dropped off at the hospital’s administration office during regular office hours.
- Abrazo West Campus (West Valley Hospital), 13677 W. McDowell Road, Goodyear. Cereal donations will benefit Agua Fria Food Bank. Monetary donations made out to Partners for Health can be dropped off at the Caring Corner Gift Shop in the hospital’s main lobby.
- Abrazo Buckeye Emergency Center (West Valley Emergency Center), 525 S. Watson Road, Buckeye. Cereal donations will benefit Agua Fria Food Bank.
Whole-grain cereal, when part of a healthy, balanced breakfast including dairy (such as milk and yogurt), fruit and lean protein, is a popular food item that experts say can easily address the hunger gap during the summer months when children are not in school. Healthy cereal contains one serving of whole grain, no more than 200 calories per serving, six grams or less of sugar and at least three grams of fiber per serving. It should also be free of artificial colors and dyes.