Abrazo Arrowhead Campus earns national recognition for expertise in treating patients with heart attack symptomsOct 25, 2017
PHOENIX (May 25, 2017) – Abrazo Arrowhead Campus has earned a full three-year Chest Pain Center with Primary PCI with Resuscitation Accreditation, the highest level of accreditation, from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care.
Abrazo Arrowhead Campus, 18701 N. 67th Ave., is the only Arizona hospital to earn this accreditation. The hospital was evaluated for its ability to assess, diagnose and treat patients who may be experiencing a heart attack. The criteria include:
- Assessing, diagnosing, and treating patients quickly
- Effectively treating patients at low risk for acute coronary syndrome and no assignable cause for their symptoms
- Continually seeking to improve processes and procedures
- Ensuring the competence and training of Accredited Chest Pain Center personnel
- Maintaining organizational structure and commitment
- Constructing a functional design that promotes optimal patient care
- Supporting community outreach programs that educate the public to promptly seek medical care if they display symptoms of a possible heart attack
“People tend to wait when they think they might be having a heart attack, and that’s a mistake,” said Dr. William Ellert, Chief Medical Officer for Abrazo Community Health Network. “The average patient arrives in the emergency department more than two hours after the onset of symptoms, but what they don’t realize is that the sooner a heart attack is treated, the less damage to the heart and the better the outcome for the patient.”
Heart attacks are the leading cause of death in the United States, with 600,000 people dying annually of heart disease. More than 5 million Americans visit hospitals each year with chest pain, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
Abrazo Arrowhead Campus’ comprehensive healthcare encompasses the entire continuum of care for the heart patient and includes hospital partnerships with regional dispatch centers, Fire Emergency Medical Services agencies and community outreach programs.
“These valued partnerships work in concert to orchestrate cardiovascular disease awareness and timely medical care of the heart attack patient as they arrive to be greeted by our team of healthcare specialists in the emergency department. The accreditation recognizes the availability of time sensitive emergency treatment at the Abrazo Arrowhead Campus Emergency Department,’’ said Frank Molinaro, Abrazo Community Health Network Market Chief Executive Officer.