Cardiac Care Program
Arrowhead Hospital offers the residents’ of Phoenix one of the most comprehensive cardiac care programs in the region. Treating both chronic and acute cardiac conditions, Arrowhead Hospital is proud to received Health Grades' America's Best 100 Hospitals for Cardiac Care and Coronary Intervention in 2012.
The Adult Cardiac Surgery Program is just part of the full spectrum of cardiovascular services Arrowhead Hospital provides our patients. Our team of renowned physicians and dedicated, highly skilled nursing and technical staff are experts at diagnosing, treating and managing both acute and chronic cardiac conditions.
As part of our ongoing commitment to deliver the highest level of cardiovascular care, Arrowhead Hospital is leading the way surgically by performing the “Off-Pump” Coronary Artery Bypass/Open Heart surgical procedure. The “Off-Pump” open heart surgery eliminates the need of a heart-lung machine, which reduces a patient’s chance of developing complications that have been associated with the machine. The cardiac surgeons at Arrowhead also offer Mitral Valve Repair surgery, a procedure that restores the valve with a ring instead of replacing the entire valve.
Cardiac Cath Lab
Arrowhead Hospital boasts state-of-the-art Cardiac Catheterization Labs where board certified cardiologists and specialty staff perform Percutaneous Coronary Interventional (PCI) services including balloon angioplasty and coronary stenting. The full-service program offers Electrophysiology services, which maps the electrical pathways of the heart and with detection of abnormal pathways, Arrowhead’s experts can intercede and eliminate these pathways. We are also on the forefront of interventional services like Implantable Cardiac Defibrillators, Cardiac Rhythm Management implants and peripheral vascular procedures.
Acute Cornary Syndrome (Chest Pain/Heart Attack)
And every minute counts when it comes to treating people suffering from symptoms of chest pain. According to the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care, “if a patient with an acute myocardial infarction (AMI) – otherwise known as a heart attack - is treated within 70 minutes, damage to the heart can be minimized (and mortality decreased) by aborting the infarct. After delay, substantial heart damage can occur, minimizing the impact of medical interventions.”
The Chest Pain Center at Arrowhead Hospital, accredited by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care since 2006, is exceeding the 70-minute goal established by the Society. This puts the Chest Pain Center at Arrowhead below the Society’s goal but well under the National goal of 90-minutes.
Our cardiac services also include:
- Open Heart Surgery
- Angiography - Diagnostic Cardiac Catheterization Services are offered. A small catheter is placed under x-ray and positioned near the coronary arteries. The cardiologist can then perform a series of images that assist in diagnosing interruptions in blood flow to the heart muscle. In addition, these diagnostic studies also assist the cardiologist in diagnosing problems the heart may have in general function and pumping ability.
- Angioplasty - A non-surgical procedure during which the doctor guides thin, balloon-tipped catheter through the artery to the blockage. The balloon is inflated to decrease the blockage and is then removed, improving blood flow to the heart muscle.
- Coronary stent - A metal mesh tube device implanted in an artery to hold it open, and increase blood flow to the heart muscle.
- Echocardiogram - Sound waves are sent into the chest and rebound from the heart's walls and valves to produce a moving picture of the heart and heart valves.
- Electrocardiogram (EKG) - Measures the electrical activity in a heartbeat.
- ICD and Pacemaker implant - An Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator system (ICD) senses arrhythmias, or abnormal heart rhythm, and delivers a painless "internal shock" to the heart to correct it.
We also offer excellent Cardiac Rehabilitation Services in which patients receive medically supervised and monitored exercise sessions, lifestyle education and risk factor modification to help in lowering the chance of another cardiac event.
Anyone who has experienced the following are candidates for cardiac rehab:
- Post-myocardial infarction
- Stable angina
- Coronary artery bypass graft surgery
- Percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) or other transcatheter procedure
- Compensated congestive heart failure
- Heart or other organ transplantation
- Other cardiac surgery including valvular and pacemaker insertion (including implantable cardioverter defibrillator)
- Peripheral arterial disease
- High-risk cardiovascular disease ineligible for surgical intervention
- Sudden cardiac death syndrome
- End-stage renal disease
- At risk for coronary artery disease, with diagnoses of diabetes mellitus, dyslipidemia, hypertension, ect.
- Other patients who may benefit from structured exercise and/or patient education (based on physician referral and consensus of the rehabilitation team)
Arrowhead also offers pulmonary rehabilitation services including:
Phase II and Phase III Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Eligibility: Individuals with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) diagnosis, to include: asthma, emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
- Purpose: To assist the individuals in being more productive and independent with activities of daily living (ADL) by learning multiple breathing techniques and effective exercise.
- Exercise Session: Oxygen saturation level and blood pressure are monitored with rest and exercise. The gym is equipped with treadmills, bikes, Nusteps and free weights. We use a combination of each to achieve the goals of the individual.
- Entry Procedure: Physician clearance is necessary. Contact the Pulmonary Rehab Department at 623.561.7489.
This program is great for those who are not maintaining a regular exercise program. They would benefit from the attention of qualified staff and enjoy the camaraderie or others.
Additional Resources –
We are pleased to provide the following information as a service to our web site visitors:
American Heart Association
American Stroke Association
See more Cardiovascular Care Services offered at all Abrazo Health locations.