Skimming the fat off the chicken stock and using a minimum of oil and no added salt means that this crunchy rice is lower in fat, saturated fat, and sodium.
|Serving Size||½ cup|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||less than 1 g|
|Chicken stock or broth, skim fat from top||1 cup|
|Uncooked long-grain white rice||1 1/3 cups |
|Vegetable oil||2 teaspoons |
|Finely chopped onion||2 tablespoons|
|Finely chopped green pepper||2 tablespoons|
|Chopped pecans||½ cup |
|Ground sage||¼ teaspoon|
|Finely chopped celery||1 cup|
|Sliced water chestnuts||½ cup |
|Black pepper to taste |
- Bring water and stock to a boil in medium-size saucepan.
- Add rice and stir. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Reserve.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet.
- Sauté onion and celery over moderate heat for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients including reserved cooked rice. Fluff with fork before serving.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.